Designing And Delivering A Leadership Development Program With Brambles
Brambles had identified a group of high potential individuals who had been identified by the leadership team as the future leaders of the organization.
They wanted to launch a Fast Track Leadership Program (FTLP) to target the highest potential directors in Brambles’ global business that could move to VP roles within one to two years and SVP roles in the subsequent five years by providing ongoing investment, development and support to this population.
They partnered with YSC Consulting to develop a comprehensive program which included developmental assessments, coaching, mentoring/sponsorship, cross-functional opportunities, a large strategic project and learning sessions.
The program included:
- Stakeholder feedback for each individual.
- Four-hour developmental assessment and two-hour feedback session.
- Twelve-month coaching engagement with a tailored development plan focused on three to four key goals that were aligned to organizational objectives.
- Where plausible, direct observation of the individual leading an event or meeting to see the individual in action and debrief with her/him afterwards.
- Another round of stakeholder feedback six- eight months into the development program to explore where the individual had made most progress and to identify areas continued development.
- A four-way meeting after twelve months with the individual, their manager, their HRBP and the YSC coach to determine next steps.
- A final check-in between the individual and YSC coach was scheduled at the end of the FTLP.
90% of individuals reported that their original goals were met to a considerable or to a great extent.
“The goals that were defined as the beginning of the coaching were somehow linked to the effectiveness in my existing role, which has been a real change vs what I was doing before.”
All individuals reported organizational benefits and an ability to be more effective in their role and as a result of their learnings, and 80% cited this to a considerable or great extent.
“I believe I have benefited from this program in addition to my overall managerial effectiveness. In particular, working cross-functionally and influencing skills.”
A majority of participants (70%) said they would be extremely likely to recommend their coach to others in their organization.
“The fact that YSC coaches are familiar with the senior leadership of Brambles in addition to their global cross industry experience allows them to coach us in a general manner based on best practices, but also more specifically for success within the Brambles culture.”
“Partnering with YSC meant a seamless integration of all the components of the program. The coaching team took the time to understand our business and its challenges, and were keenly interested in the three, one-week modules that took place in addition to the coaching and mentoring elements, thus building the experiences participants were gaining throughout into the coaching. The program has resulted in all of the participants from the first cohort either being promoted to VP within the 18 months, or being moved into a significantly bigger role at Director level.”Client, Brambles