Team development within an online gaming business
A leading gaming company was going through a leadership restructure for their online business. Although the online team was a main driver of growth for the overall business, they were significantly underperforming in a highly competitive market. This led to them falling behind the curve in innovation as well as their financial targets.
As a result, there was a need to accelerate the team’s effectiveness in order to:
- Determine a clear focus for the team in line with the vision and objectives
- Create a sense of shared purpose
- Understand how to leverage individual and group strengths
- Break down silos and establish effective ways of working to increase innovation
- Increase resilience in a fast-changing and competitive market.
YSC facilitated a two-day team event for fifteen leaders in the online business:
Day One – Increasing Team Effectiveness: The team was functioning in a way that was isolated and siloed from the rest of the business. This led them to lose sight of the market and their competitors. We focused on the team’s purpose and prioritization to clarify their key delivery objectives. This included an exploration of key metrics, customer feedback, reframing their relationship with the rest of the business, and how to collaborate in an agile and innovate way.
Day 2 – Building Resilience: Given the rate at which change was happening in the market, there was a need for leaders to reflect and discuss how they were going to lead that change in a highly pressurized industry. Using YSC’s Resilience framework, we supported the team in building their resilience, flexibility and adaptability to change.
- The team events provided a safe environment where members of the team could speak their ‘truth,’ address the real issues, and find a way to create a sense of togetherness. This was a cathartic experience for all leaders involved.
- By refocusing on how to drive the business forward, the team clarified their team purpose in simple, straightforward language so that everyone understood what their role was individually and collectively. They also left with tools and techniques to frame their leadership to support their direct reports in a fast-changing and competitive market.
Find out more about Team Development with YSC...
Strong and effective team dynamics are an essential engine of organizational success. Organizational and digital developments have made teams more important than ever, and even more difficult to get right.