This FTSE100 Financial Services Provider was increasing its use of digital channels to engage its customers, thereby increasing the risk of cyber-attack. However, the expanding Information Team was perceived as disjointed and inconsistent. YSC was brought in to build the team’s effectiveness and ability to support the business.
- Create commitment and trust between team members.
- Establish mechanisms for regular communication so that issues would addressed by the team rather than referred to management.
- Create consistency and clarity around the advice the team gave to the rest of the business.
- Create a shared understanding of the team’s role.
YSC conducted a series of one-to-one diagnostic interviews with team members and stakeholders to explore the dynamics and underlying causes of how the team were operating. This generated:
- A map of how the team were experienced by the business.
- Clarity about how the business and team members wanted the team to move forward.
- Insight into the psychological blocks and barriers that were stopping the team from resolving these issues.
YSC then facilitated a one-day workshop with the team, using the interviews to provide a focus and spur for action. Key goals of the workshop included:
- Trust building.
- Creating a common team purpose.
- Identifying what the team need to do to deliver that purpose.
The team committed to work together in the following ways:
- Agreeing on common positions for engaging the business.
- Involving colleagues on the team where their interests are being affected.
- Resolving issues between themselves, only referring up on critical issues.
- Creating space to communicate with each other by booking in one-to-ones and opening their diaries to each other.
- Prioritising what they take on, so they can focus on addressing the longer term strategic challenges.
- Engaging in more conversations with sponsors about what is realistic.
- The team created a new statement of purpose.
- The more collaborative culture the team have created is already delivering results.