Developing High Potential Leaders At A Global Healthcare Company
The client is a science-led global healthcare company that researches and develops a whole range of innovative products. YSC Consulting is a key strategic partner for this client in its efforts to develop its leadership capital and further strengthen its talent pipeline. We have worked together to develop innovative, multi-faceted development programs to ensure that the client has the leaders it needs now and in the future.
- As part of its leadership strategy, the client wanted to ensure it had a strong pipeline for future executive roles.
- They wanted to identify partners who could provide a cutting edge development program that enabled leaders to understand their own development needs in relation to future leadership requirements and systematically address them through a blended program of individual coaching and residential programs.
- They were also keen to develop these leaders as a group and encourage them to work together.
YSC worked closely with the client and another provider to create an integrated, two-year holistic development program. This was a global program with 32 high-potential future leaders taking part.
Core Elements of the Program
The first component was research into the capabilities that would be required in future leaders. It pulled on both YSC’s research into requirements of future leaders as well as the clients’ own predictions of their future needs.
The outputs acted as a guide for participants in the program as well as a basis to structure the residential components.
The next element was an executive assessment to give the individual and the organization a read-out on how the individual leader measures up to the requirements of an Enterprise Leader in the future, including their readiness for Enterprise Leadership roles and their potential trajectory. The assessment was the foundation for the leaders’ personal development plan as well as an opportunity for the client to deepen its insight into its leaders.
The third core component was individual coaching over the course of the two year period. The coaching is structured around elements of the program.
This had two major elements:
- It ensured that participants maximized their learning from the residential components and transfer of learning occurred.
- It gave participants the opportunity to focus on their unique development needs and achieve transformational change in their performance by addressing underlying blockers to performance.
The final component was a series of residential programs. The content was tightly aligned to the original research into the capabilities that will be required in future executives.
The client observed a significant shift in the capability and performance of the Enterprise Leadership participants.
The business significantly improved the quality of its internal talent for senior level successors including:
- A broader enterprise leadership perspective
Greater personal and leadership impact
Improved empowerment of their teams
Greater confidence and better communication
They also observed the group form strong bonds, strengthening the trust between leaders in this key layer in the organization.