Meaning Inc - the blueprint for business success in the 21st century
At YSC we have spent almost two decades talking to managers and leaders of organisations across the globe about what makes a successful organisation. Our findings are the subject of our new book, Meaning Inc, which advocates that successful businesses are those that provide meaning at work for their employees. Those companies that focus on this critical factor will flourish and those that don’t will be ‘running on empty’.
But the book is about more than business success. It is about several things that are also important to us at YSC: creating success that is sustainable, creating a working environment that will enrich our lives rather than sap them, and creating organisations that are responsible to the wider environment.
Truths about creating meaning in organisations
- People who are motivated and energised in their work make for successful companies
- People who are not motivated in their work and lack energy will lead to business failure, in varying degrees
- Motivation and energy can be found by creating meaningful work for individuals
- By looking at organisations and individuals who do this successfully, meaning can be created in any organisation
- By not understanding the nature of true meaning for individuals, many organisations are failing in their attempts to create values and cultures that are motivational for their staff.
- Employees can quickly spot the difference between authentic and inauthentic attempts to get them on board
The blueprint for business success in the 21st Century
Written by Gurnek Bains, YSC's Chief Executive - Meaning Inc describes seven ways in which successful companies create meaning through:
- an invigorating purpose
- connecting with DNA values and history
- living a positive brand
- clarity of impact
- rewards and work-life balance
At YSC we work with organisations to help them to make these key factors a reality from creating the right leadership and helping people to see the impact they make, through to analysing culture and values.Go back
What is a ‘good company’, and how do you go about becoming one? Can you, indeed, afford not to? Here Sam... read more
We live in interesting times…Here Zoe Peach outlines how companies can reconcile a growing desire for social change with the need... read more
As the world around us changes, so does the outlook of emerging generations. If companies are to survive and prosper, they... read more